KASA INITIATIVE GHANA
REPORT ON ENHANCING CSO’s CAPACITIES ON THE NAP PROCESS IN GHANA
VENUE: MILKLIN HOTEL, EAST LEGON
SUPPORTED BY GOWER STREET FOUNDATION, UK.
KASA INITIATIVE GHANA
Date: 12TH MAY, 2021
SUMMARY OF WORKSHOP
|DATE FOR MEETING
|12TH MAY, 2021
|NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS
|TOTAL = 25
F = 5
M = 20
|Miklin Hotel, East Legon, Accra Ghana
The goal of the workshop was to engage stakeholders and actors on the NAP process and to identify opportunities for CSOs effective participation the process.
Participants were drawn from different CSO organizations working in the area of climate change.
Dr Antwi-Boasiako from EPA was the key resource person that took participants through the background and the different thematic areas under the NAP process in Ghana.
Participants also shared their views on the process and were guided by the resource person to identify opportunities within the process for CSOs to participate.
A list of the identified opportunities were documented as recommendations to be shared with the wider CSO public as a publication. This document is to support CSOs thought process on the NAPs and entry points for participation and contribution to the process.
The main objective of the meeting was to enhance capacities of CSO’s on the NAP process and to figure out opportunities within the NAP and plan accordingly to tap into such opportunities.
The key activities on the day included the following:
· Capacity enhancing session on the NAP process in Ghana.
● Analysis of current activities of CSO’s and draw linkages with the priorities under the NAP
● Brainstorming session on the entry points for CSOs to contribute to the process of the NAPs.
GROUP DISCUSSION & RECOMMENDATIONS
The questions considered was, what role can the CSOs play in the central level system, district level systems and process and Enabling environment to promote private sector investment in the adaptation.
This was answered by grouping the participants into groups of 3
A. Under the Central Level Systems
It was recommended that, there should:
- Good representation (steering committee, Working Groups) etc Engagement with CSOs reps
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Awareness creation and capacity building for CSO reps
- Advocacy on the bill (parliamentary engagement)
- Regularize inter – ministerial engagements
- Contribution to the baseline Assessment
- CSOs can partner with PMU to have inter – ministerial engagement regularly
- NAP implementation road map
B. Under the District Level System and Process
- Use network to identify the District Assemblies
- Adaptation support addition or distinct as part of the NAPS
- Develop a data base of CSOs in the District
- Engage district officers in CSO meetings
- Planning (MTDP)
- Monitoring district Assemblies to potential funding avenues within the NAP process
- Organize capacity building for District Assemblies
- Advocacy for release of funds for district or community level action
- Traditional authority inclusion
- Vulnerability assessment and community action plan on adaptation
C. Under the Enabling Environment to Promote Private Sector Investment in The Adaptation.
- Mapping of key private sector association interest or objectives and align to adaptation needs or opportunities
- Identify, document and create awareness on good adaptation practices or investment od the PS.
- Institute regular CSO – Ps knowledge sharing and dissemination session on adaptation investment or benefits etc
- Forge partnership and collaboration with key private sector associations or federations (PEF, AGI) towards the need to enhance adaption investments: